Sunday, November 23, 2008

November musings

Well, November is almost over. Only a little over a week or so to go. I haven't posted here since I put up the picture of my Samhain altar. What have I been doing? Freezing! lol It turned cold here and I've been snuggling in the house in my room. I had central heating until two years ago when it decided to die on me. Since then, I have only a small space heater in my bedroom. I also have one that I run sometimes in the kitchen. It's pretty darn cold in the rest of my house!

My pecan tree decided to finally give up and give me all the pecans. :) I've spent many days of November going out and picking them up. They are delicious! I love pecans. Good thing since I have about 29340392 pounds of them. Actually I don't have that many but it seems like it! I hope to sell some of them. I can always use the extra money.

I re-did the labels for all my herbs recently. I had done hand written labels, but I had wanted nicer ones. I found a template for my windows computer. (I have a Mac and a win box) The template works via Microsoft Word and lets you do a sheet of labels. It will let you do a sheet of the exact same labels, or you can do different ones. I made up different ones. On each, it says "Brook's herbs" at the top in green and then I put the individual herbs under it in black. They look pretty nice. I did one sheet of them and I have put them all on my herb jars. I need to print out some more, but I'm waiting until I can use the whole sheet. I don't want to waste them.

They turned out quiet nicely! I have all my herbs in glass jars in my Witchy trunk. I have most of them in matching jars I found at Dollar General. They look like minature cookie jars. The rest of my herbs are in empty spice, pickle, mini mayo, or other glass jars. I recycle all my little glass jars for this purpose. All the plastic jars I clean out go to the recycle center!

I have been debating whether to put up my Yule tree this year. The tree is packed away in my junk room. I had a hard time getting my Samhain / Halloween goodies out and they weren't as far back in the room as the Yule tree. lol We'll see if I get up the courage to battle that room. If I do, I'll post a picture of the tree here.

The podcast is going quite well! :) I have quite a lot of listeners and get some great feedback. I've been enjoying it so much! I wanted to actually do a podcast tonight, but I have to wait until next week. I'm trying to do them every two weeks so that hosting them won't be too expensive. As of now, I'm paying $5.00 a month and I am almost out of space. I'll upgrade to the next level next month. That will be $10.00 a month. I'm also going to look into way to maybe archive the old shows somewhere else and try to keep it in the $5 - $10 range. We'll see.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a blessed Autumn.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke,

Thanks for the update.

On heating, I do something similar to save money in the winter. I basically live out of my bedroom when home with an electric space heater (looks like a radiator and is oil filled, nice and warm). I turn off the heat to the rest of the apartment and have been doing this for a number of years.

It actually saves lots of money as I've compared my heat bill with a friend who lives in the same complex.

I hear people at work complain about how high their power bills are in the winter, but *duh* they often leave the heat on all day long when no one is home. I always turn the heat off at night too, and stay warm with blankets, pj's, socks, and sometimes a cap.

I like the idea of burning fewer fossil fuels when conserving power. Also, the economy is tough right now, so every little tweak helps.

Beth

Freak Magnet said...

PECANS?? Yummy!! You're so lucky!

I have my herbs labeled with a Word program too. It makes them so much neater, doesn't it? It's made it a lot easier to find what I need with the labels all uniform. My ex-husband built me a great rack for them, so I have them on the wall which also makes them easy to access. :)

Drag that Yule tree out! Blessings!

Kat Schorr said...

Hi Brook,

I was just web surfing and came across your blog. I hope you do pull out the Yule tree. Or, do out and buy a live small evergreen like I just did today. Then, when spring rolls around, you can plant it outside!
BB, Aurora
wiccanlife.com

Brook said...

Thanks Beth! I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

Yes Freak Magnet having them labeled and organized is great! I never did pull out my tree. ^^; I guess at the point I won't.

Aurora that is a lovely idea. Unfortunately the people around here only sell poor trees that have already been cut down.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke,

I just found your podcasts on Itunes last week and have waited until I finished listening to the podcasts before coming here to post a comment.

I have really enjoyed listening to you, and being from the south myself (Georgia), have enjoyed hearing an authentic southern accent :)

Keep up the good work you have been doing. The book reviews, talks about the magical properties of gemstones are informative and I even enjoy the ramblings, I fondly think of you as "Babbling Brooke" when you get off subject and start rambling :) Hope you don't take offense to this :)


Fred